Using Reference Databases from Home
Using Timberland's online reference databases from home requires:
- a valid Timberland library card number and PIN
When you connect to an online reference database from outside a Timberland library, you will be prompted to enter your library card number and PIN. The system checks to be sure that the card number and PIN are valid.
If you typed a valid card number, the system will create a "session" cookie on your computer that gives you access to the Timberland reference databases. This cookie stays active until you close the browser or after two hours of inactivity. While the cookie is active you will be able to connect to any of the reference databases on the Timberland menu without needing to re-type your library card number.
Frequently Asked Questions about using Reference Databases from Home
- After I enter my library card number I get the message "Sorry. Your library barcode number or your PIN is not recognized."
- You may have made a mistake typing your library card barcode number. The barcode number must include the "D" at the beginning and must not have spaces.
- You may be typing the wrong PIN. This is usually the last 4 digits of your telephone number. You may have requested a different PIN at one time or your PIN may be from an old telephone number. Please contact Timberland's Ask A Librarian by email or call 704-4636 in the Olympia area, or 1-800-562-6022 for help.
- If it has been awhile since you used your library card, it may not be valid any more. Please contact Timberland's Ask A Librarian by email or call 704-4636 in the Olympia area, or 1-800-562-6022 for help.
- Although my library barcode number is accepted, I still get prompted for a login name and password by the database site.
- Try connecting to one or more other reference databases. If you can get to other databases, the problem may be a temporary issue at the first site you tried to access.
- Is your browser set up to accept cookies? In order to get remote access to Timberland's reference databases, your browser must accept cookies.
- Trying clearing your browser cache.
- Do you have a personal firewall or a hardware firewall or router installed? Some older firewalls automatically block cookies. If your browser accepts cookies and you are still getting prompted for a user name and password, you may need to change the configuration to accept cookies from Timberland and from the database vendor.
- If you are still having problems. please contact Timberland's Ask A Librarian by email or call 704-4636 in the Olympia area, or 1-800-562-6022 for help.
If you have comments, questions or information to add to our help page about your experience with remote access to reference databases, browsers, and error messages please email us.