Interlibrary Loan Service
If you are looking for a title that isn’t owned by Timberland Regional Library, we may be able to request it from another library for you through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
To submit an online ILL request, click on Ask A Librarian on any page on Timberland’s web site. You may also submit an ILL request by calling or visiting any Timberland library, or by calling our Ask A Librarian service at 1-800-562-6022.
Upon receiving your ILL request, Timberland’s ILL staff will search to find libraries that own and may be willing to lend the item. Once the item has been located and requested, a brief record for the item is created and added to the Hold Request List on your library record. An ILL request looks like this on your request list: I L L TITLE.
We are able to obtain most ILL materials for free, but some libraries do charge fees to loan their materials or provide photocopies. Because of this, you will be asked to note the maximum amount you are willing to pay in order to fill your request. You will never be charged more than this amount, and we always endeavor to fill your request for no charge, or for the lowest amount possible. You may put 0 amount if you wish, in which case we’ll confine our requests to libraries which do not charge fees.
While most ILL requests are filled within two weeks, some items take longer to obtain. For this reason, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for any items requested through ILL.
When the item you have requested arrives, you will be notified in the same way you are notified when your Timberland hold requests are filled, i.e., by email, phone call or printed notice. Note that some items may only be available for in-library use, such as genealogy materials, reference items, and law books.
Not all ILL requests are successful. For example, some libraries don't loan genealogy materials or DVDs. In the event that the item you requested cannot be borrowed, it will be removed from your Holds list. A message telling you that the ILL request has been cancelled will be added to your library record, and a note will be sent to you by email or mailed printed notice.
- TRL patrons are limited to 5 active ILL Requests at a time.
- TRL will not borrow the same item for the same patron within a six month period.
- TRL will not accept or process requests from patrons who currently have overdue ILL materials on their records.
- If you need to cancel an ILL request, contact Ask A Librarian or call your local library. ILL requests cannot be suspended. Please do not cancel or suspend an ILL request in your Holds List.
- Items published within the past year cannot be requested through ILL, but will be forwarded to the Selections Department for purchase consideration.