Frequently Asked Questions - General Setup Information
These general instructions require that you know how to configure and restore settings on your own computer.
Windows Vista Setup for TRL Wireless
- Your computer MUST allow pop-ups from the web address of the Wireless Guest Login page.
- Your computer MUST accept third party cookies from the same address.
- If you do not allow pop-ups and third party cookies, you will not be able to access the Internet.
- Make sure your wireless Ethernet card is properly installed and recognized.
TRL's wireless network should be automatically detected by Vista.
- Access the "Connect to a network" dialog box from one of the following places in Windows Vista:
- Right-click on the networking icon in the System Tray and select "Connect To."
- Click "Start", and then "Connect to" from the Windows Vista desktop
- From the "Manage wireless connections" dialog box
- From the "Connect/Disconnect" context menu of a wireless network adapter in the Network Connections folder.
- You should be able to select the library's wireless SSID - trlwireless or trlguest - from the "Connect to a network" screen.
- To connect, double-click the trlwireless or trlguest SSID, or click the SSID and then click Connect. From the "Set Network Location" screen, it is best to choose Public Location.
- You may also want to save the network connection. We do not recommend selecting "Start this connection automatically" or "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting."
- After clicking "Next", click "Connect to", and then double-click the newly created wireless network in the "Connect to a network" dialog box.
Other settings to check if you cannot connect:
- In the "Network and Sharing Center", click "View status" for trlwireless (or trlguest).
- From the "Wireless Network Connection Status" screen click the "Properties" button at the bottom left.
- Choose "Internet Protocol Version 4" from the list of items, and then click the "Properties" button.
- On the following screen, verify that both "Obtain an IP address automatically", and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are selected.
- Click "OK".
- Back on the "Wireless Network Connection Status" screen, click the "Wireless Properties" button. Select the "Power Management" tab, and remove the check next to "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power".
If the trlwireless (or trlguest) SSID is not listed, you may try setting things up manually:
- Choose "Manually connect to a wireless network", and then click "Next".
- On the "Enter information for the wireless network you want to add" screen, configure the following:
- Network name - trlwireless (trlguest at some libraries)
- Security type - No authentication (Open)
- Security Key/Passphrase – NOT NEEDED.
- Display characters - NOT NEEDED.