In recent years, Timberland Regional Library leadership and its Board of Trustees recognized a need to transform the organization to ensure it continues delivering on its commitment to library services excellence for the next 50 years and beyond. With that in mind, TRL leadership commenced a comprehensive evaluation of every factor that contributes to the library’s success; reviewed regional, national, and international trends in library services; and identified key benchmarks to aim for in the short-, medium-, and long term.
In response to a request from the Board of Trustees, TRL leadership created a Capital Facilities Proposal for the Facilities Committee that features significant opportunities for growth, methods for adaptation to marketplace trends, smart recommendations for staffing, and best practices overall. Each of these elements are built with the intention of being foundational in the development of our strategic plan for 2020, as projected expenditures over the next two calendar years are outpacing projected revenues.
The proposal is just that, a proposal. It was created for the TRL Facilities Committee to review and evaluate to help shape the future of Timberland Regional Library.
When compared to many neighboring library systems, TRL faces multiple unique challenges, not the least of which is 7,000 square miles of service area. In addition, shifting demographics, the evolution of patrons’ expectations for library offerings, and a goal of being as financially sustainable as possible made this undertaking a valuable one for TRL leadership and its Board of Trustees.
This is the first step of an ongoing conversation, and we will continue to post updates to this page as new information becomes available.
October 10, 2018
The Board of Trustees voted unanimously at the Special Board Meeting to table the Capital Facilities Proposal until August 1, 2019, agreeing to make no substantial changes to library buildings before that time. An ad hoc board committee will be created to explore elements of the proposal in greater detail along wth discussing related policy and budget implications. View the press release and the video of the meeting.
October 4, 2018
The Facilities Committee determined they would recommend not moving the Capital Facilities Proposal forward, using it as a reference document for future meetings. This recommendation will be made to the full board at the special board meeting scheduled for October 10, 2018 at 5:30PM at the Administrative Service Center. View the press release and the tentative agenda.
October 1, 2018
The Board of Trustees Facilities Committee will meet from 5-6 p.m. on Wednesday, October 3, 2018 at the Administrative Service Center, located at 415 Tumwater Blvd. S.W. in Tumwater. While this meeting will not include a public comment period, the meeting is open to the public.
September 27, 2018
This page has been published as a central spot for information about this proposal after the proposal was made public on September 25.
- The Board of Trustees voted to extend the lease for the Mountain View (Randle) Timberland Library for 1 year at the September 26, 2018 board meeting. View the press release.
- The South Bend Timberland Library remains temporarily closed due to an abundance of caution over health and safety issues in the building. TRL is awaiting the final report from L&I and will address the issue at the next Facilities Committee Meeting upon receipt of the L&I report.
- Upcoming Board of Trustees Facilities Committee Meetings are posted here.
- TRL is organizing budget presentations across the 5 counties in the coming months and the meeting dates will be posted to this page.
- The TRL Facilities Policy can be found here.
- The 2018 budget can be found here.
Current TRL Board Members can be reached at the email addresses below:
- Brian Zylstra, President - Lewis County - email@example.com
- Joe Wheeler, President Elect - Thurston County - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hal Blanton - Lewis County, at large - email@example.com
- Bob Hall - Pacific County - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brenda Hirschi - Mason County - email@example.com
- Jenna Noll - Thurston County, at large - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Corby Varness - Grays Harbor County - email@example.com
If you would like to submit your feedback, please fill out the form below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.